Monday, March 23, 2015

A Bit of Inspiration

A Family That Creates Together,
Stays Together

Last December, my stepson Dan, proposed a pallet wood challenge for the family.  The rules are simple:
  • Must be made using pallet wood, but can contain other elements
  • Must follow the given theme
  • Individual projects (can have help, but must be your own work)
  • Must be completed by the deadline
Mallory created a logo for the competition.  The KDH uses our last names...Krause, Danks and Hummel.


The theme for the first project is "The Office".  The deadline was supposed to be February 28.  But due to the very cold weather in Ohio (where most of the participants live), we all agreed to extend the deadline a few weeks.  


A Real Retired Housewife of Florida's
Adventure With Pallet Wood

First I found a pallet, then used a reciprocating saw to cut through the nails like butta'.  


I used a hand sander to smooth out the pieces, glued the boards to a solid piece of luan plywood and trimmed the sides with a circular saw.  I finished the wood with Minwax Wood Finish (Natural).  The clear finish brought out the rich tones of the different types of wood.


I added black 1" x 2" trim.  Notice how my work area includes the Plantation Woodworkers shop, my garage and KITCHEN!  .  


I strategically placed three clipboard clips and printed out some inspirational sayings.  The finished piece fits just right in THE OFFICE above my computer desk. I am very pleased with my project.  It is creative and useful.


The Challenge

Mallory has posted all of the entries on her blog, Danks and Honey.   Check out the projects and VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE.

I didn't know there was so much talent in this family. I will have to bring my A-GAME for the next challenge...

No comments:

Post a Comment