Tuesday, July 28, 2015

How Does Your Indoor Garden Grow?

I will admit my garden is not all silver bells and cockle shells.  I can keep philodendrons alive, but I have killed every orchid that has entered my house...Jana 6, Orchids 0.

I am more interested in the pots and planters...the plants are secondary.


#1.  This planter is a combination of a pot I made at my first pottery class (over 30 years ago) and a wood stand I made last year.  The pot reminds me of a WWI helmet and it has held up like one.



#2  This is a "self-watering" planter made from a wine bottle.  I tried cutting bottles a couple years ago.  I thought it was going to be my next craft obsession.  Turns out that collecting the bottles became the obsession.  When it came to cutting them and using them...it didn't happen.  I do like this project, though.  I cut a bottle in half, flip the top upside down, inserted a screen and cotton twine down the neck, add soil and plant. On this one, I added copper tape for decoration...other I etched designs.  It is an easy project and is great for someone who forgets to water their plants.  (Another idea to help with this problem later).

#3  This is my minimalist plant arrangement.  The shapes are Himmeli design made from brass tubing.  So far the air plants are in good shape.  The only care they need is a weekly soak.

My daughters (Mallory and Michelle) and I are interested in the Himmeli shapes.  I shared a wreath in a past blog.  Mallory made some for Michelle's bridal shower.



 #4  Sometimes I can't resist adding my own mark.  I gold leafed this rosemary pot.  I love the little cactus.  I am afraid to get too attached, just in case it doesn't make it.

#5  I liked the first wood frame so much I made another.  Again, I thought this was to be a new craft/obsession.  Nope.  It looks simple, but the wood pieces need to be exact and I don't enjoy detail work.

#6  This fern pot is one of my favorite project.  I glazed a saucer and the rim of a terra cotta pot and fired it.  Then I added a mosaic of tiles and pottery shards to the base of the pot.  I loved everything about making these pots (glazing, firing, tiles, grout).  Here are some that I left in Ohio with my friend Jan.


I would have more plants in my house, if I could keep them alive.  I have plenty of light in my house.  The watering is the problem...either too much (I suspect in the case of the orchids) or too little.

Recently I saw on Pinterest where you can use unused disposable diapers to enhance potting soil.  You take out the super absorbing crystals and mix it with your soil to help retain moisture.

I had to give it a try.  I picked up an adult diaper at the local thrift store.  (Remember I live in FLORIDA in an area where I am more likely to find adult diapers rather than baby diapers).  I took out the crystals (mixed with cotton) from the middle of the diaper and added it to the potting soil.   I put some of the crystals (with cotton) in a glass and added water.  A 1/4 cup of crystals in cotton absorbed over a cup of water.  The cup stayed moist for over a week.


Turns out there are many uses for disposable diapers...cold pack, ultimate paper towel...think BIG sponge.  Check out these ideas from instructables.com.

Interesting how I went from house plants to disposable diapers!

No comments:

Post a Comment