Sunday, November 29, 2015

Jewelry Organization

Projects and adventures are what being a Real Retired Housewife of Florida is all about.  I find lots of my "projects" on Pinterest...just like this one


I pinned this jewelry hanger on Pinterest, but didn't think about making one until my daughter, Mallory, made it and said how much she liked it.

This project uses a few of my FAVorite things

  • Cup hooks ($4 for 50 at Lowe's)
  • Brass rod ($2 at Ace Hardware)
  • 1" x 2" board (scrap in garage)
  • Java Gel stain (leftover from bathroom cupboard project)  FAV
  • Dremel drill FAV
  • Command Strips FAV
  • Lever (more on that later)

I drilled pilot holes with the Dremel, screwed in the cup hooks and used Command Strips to attach the hanger to the wall.  It was late in the evening when I hung up the holders and I couldn't find my small level in the garage.  My iPhone has a level on the second page of the Compass App.  I might be the only person who actually uses this feature.


One set has a row of hooks for necklaces, bracelets and rings.  Another set has two hooks that hold a brass rod for wire earrings.

I liked the hangers so much that I made another set.   I have them hanging in my closet, but they are pretty enough that you could hang them anywhere.


These hangers are great for wire earrings...but not for post earrings.  A friend told me her earring organization system using a splatter screen.  It sounded like a great place to put post earrings.  I took the splatter screen one step futher and covered the handle with polymer clay.


I learned a few things with this project...and none of them had to do with the construction process.  I had jewelry in four different boxes and trays.  I never saw all the pieces in one place.  I learned that I have more jewelry than I thought...more jewelry than I need.  Seriously, who needs 22 pairs of small gold ball posts?  I guess I won't be asking for jewelry this Christmas.

3 comments:

  1. I wish I was as creative as my wife Jana!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like mother, like daughter! I used the level app on my phone too! Who has time to find a level?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! There's no such thing as "too many gold post earrings"

    ReplyDelete