Thursday, August 24, 2017

Leaping Lizards, Jumping Frogs



I love watching Florida's wildlife...and there is lots to see.  Some of it I enjoy (birds, manatees, alligators, lizards).  Some I like to avoid (snakes, mosquitoes, giant grasshoppers).


I like watching the small lizards around my house...called anoles.  There are two types of anoles common in my area, the native green anole and the non-native brown anole.  The brown anoles are territorial and invasive...so it is not surprising that I see more brown anoles.  It is fun to watch these little lizards puff out their throat fans (dewlap).  Only the male anole lizards engage in throat puffing.  They puff out their dewlap to attract a female...or because they feel threatened...or sometimes just because they want to.


Sometimes an anole likes to hang out between the screen and windows.  Probably for security from predators.  But it is not always a good idea.  I noticed this guy one day, and then again a few days later.  When I looked closer, I realized he was dead...and dried out.  Just in case he was a ZOMBIE LIZARD, I couldn't bring myself to rescue his corpse from the screen.  Finally I got Brian take him off.


Once I saw he was dead, I had no problem touching him.  In fact, my creative instincts kicked in.  My motto is:

Anything is better with a little SILVER LEAF



My next favorite motto is:

If all else fails, add BEADS



I started out with silver leaf, then added some beads to the lizard.  


No sooner had I finished the lizard, when I found a dried up frog at my front door.  This time, I got out the glitter (I might need a new motto for glitter).    These little guys add some glitz to my plants.


Just think what I could do with this giant grasshopper...glitter, beads, silver leaf...Oh My!


No comments:

Post a Comment